Welcome to His Holiness the Great 14th Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center
Educational and Cultural Institution for the Promotion of Human Values
Educational and cultural institution which aims to preserve the teachings of His Holiness the Dalai Lama and Tibetan Buddhist culture.
Center of learning to promote human values- compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment
and self- discipline.
Preserve the teachings of His Holiness and to continue his efforts to unite this world’s 7 billion people in peace and harmony.
As a primary education function, the institution brings Buddhist Philosophy and Science together to fosters dialogue and study the science of mind and consciousness.
Inauguration of the Great 14th Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center
The Great 14th Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center Grand Opening Ceremony was on Friday, September 8th full of speeches, prayers and Tibetan cultural performances at Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies. A two-day HHDL LLC Interfaith and Secular Ethics Conference was held on September 9-10.Event Videos Here
Message from His Holiness Dalia Lama
The Dalai Lama’s message of the importance of cultivating human values of loving-kindness, compassion and forgiveness is increasingly important during these times of seemingly unrelenting difficulties and suffering. His Holiness firmly believes that developing the warm-heartedness and compassion of every human being is essential for relieving suffering and bringing about peace in our world.Read Support Letters from HH Dalai Lama
How the Library and Learning Center
will preserve his message and continue his work
The Library and Learning Center will be a lasting resource where people from all over the world and from all walks of life can study and practice the teachings of His Holiness with the support and guidance of monks from Namgyal Monastery.
The goals of the Library and Learning Center are aligned with the often-stated commitments of His Holiness:
- To serve as the central repository for the collected works of the current and previous Dalai Lamas of Tibet, as well as the Tibetan Buddhist canon (the Tengyur and Kagyur).
- To promote positive human values such as loving-kindness and compassion by researching and teaching how to nurture these qualities in individuals and communities.
- To promote harmony and understanding among followers of various religious traditions as well as people without religious tendencies by hosting discussions on shared human values and ethics.
- To foster the science of the mind and consciousness, as elucidated in classical Indian Buddhist texts, and promote discussions between Buddhist scholars, Western scientists, philosophers, educators, and practitioners from around the world.
- To preserve the Tibetan culture of non-violence and environmental protection, as well as the Tibetan language – uniquely suited to philosophical analysis and debate – by supporting the efforts of Tibetan communities to educate their children and to share their heritage with others.
Book Donation Request For HH Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center
We are starting to gather our collection and are wondering if you have any books, videos or audio recordings of His Holiness the Fourteenth Dalai Lama’s teachings that you would like to donate to the Library.
For More Information, Click Below:
Letter From President of Namgyal Monastery
HHDL Project Description
Namgyal Monastery Institute of
The Library and Learning Center will be built on the grounds of the Namgyal Monastery Institute of Buddhist Studies in Ithaca, NY. At the request of His Holiness in 1992, Namgyal Monastery Institute was established as the North American seat of his personal monastery in Dharamsala, India. Dü Khor Choe Ling is the site for teachings on Tibetan Buddhism by Namgyal monks, for gatherings of the local Tibetan community, and for annual Kalachakra religious ceremonies.
The original Namgyal Monastery was founded in Tibet by the second Dalai Lama in the 16th century. Since then, the monks of Namgyal Monastery have cared for and assisted the Dalai Lamas. In turn, the Namgyal monks receive direct instruction and guidance from His Holiness. Their oversight of the Library and Learning Center will ensure the preservation of his legacy by those who know him best for generations to come.